Primary School Parents’ Day and Prize Giving 2015
Prize Giving & Parents' Day of the Primary School took place on Saturday, 24th October 2015 from 9.00 a.m. The Chief Guests were Prof.P.Ravirajan, Professor and Head, Department of Physics, University of Jaffna and Mrs.Vasuki Ravirajan, Teacher, Chundikuli Girls’ College.
The Chief Guest obtained his:
• BSc Special degree in Physics (Upper Second Class Honours), University of Jaffna, 1991-1995
• MSc in Material Physics, University of Peradeniya, 1997-1999
• PhD, DIC, Imperial College, University of London, 2001-2004
Apart from the many Honours / Awards / Prizes / Recognitions he has received over the years, three stand out:
• CVCD Excellence Award for the most Outstanding Young Researcher in Physical Sciences for the Year 2006 by the Committee of Vice Chancellors and Directors, Sri Lanka.
• Presidential Award for Excellence in Research by the President of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. Year of Award 2004 & 2006.
• Young Scientist Award for the Year 2008 by SCOPUS, Elsevier Publisher, The Netherlands and National Science Foundation, Sri Lanka.
He has published many research papers and taken part in many global conferences. His papers have been cited more than 800 times in international indexed journals so far.
The first three programmes were the College Hymn,
Prayer by the Principal and Welcome Speech by J.Ebenezer Nesakumar, Head Prefect.
Next was an English Speech entitled ‘Love’ by V.Nilavan of grade 3.
Just as the audience was beginning to feel that certain ingredients to a successful function were missing, the students of grade 2 appeared on stage for the Action Song, ‘The Nutrition Song.’
Next was a Tamil Song titled, ‘Nilaththil Naangal’ by A.Arnold of grade 4.
Next was Thirukkural, a classic Tamil sangam literature consisting of 1330 couplets or Kurals, authored by Thiruvalluvar. ‘Kadavul Vaalththu’ was recited by I.Shaathvik
The Peacock Dance followed. ‘Colorful pheasants’ in blue and green with colorful "eye" markings of blue, gold, red, and other hues and iridescent tails arched into a magnificent fan danced to the music.
Next was a Tamil Speech. The speech was based on the adage, ‘Honesty is the Best Policy.’ The speech was delivered by C.Anuvargithan of grade 1.
A.Lucksmen of grade 1 took the podium and recited a poem on ‘Clean Habits.’ Next, a Tamil song titled ‘Paadasaalai’ was sung by P.Christy Makshan of grade 1.
Next was an English Drama by the name ‘Treasure Mountain. The students of grade 4 had their lines memorized well and acted quite naturally. They were completely at ease throughout the performance.
A Tamil song titled ‘Pulli Pulli Maanae’ by E.Vandaat Mario of grade 2, an English recitation titled ‘Lollipop’ by L.Aaron Luxanth of grade 1 and an English song titled ‘Old Mac Donald’ by S.Piraveen of grade 2 followed.
Next was the group song, ‘Poonai,’ by the students of grade 5.
A programme in Sinhala too was presented. A Sinhala song titled ‘Podi Kaalae’ (In our younger days) was sung by N.Sakshiyan of grade 3.
Following the song in Sinhala, R.Praveenraj of grade 2 delivered a Tamil Speech on the importance of education, J.Omshiyamsankar of grade 5 recited ‘I Wonder’ and the students of grade 3 presented a group song, ‘Ethu Alahu?’
The Principal’s address was next.
Next was a property dance by the students of grade 3.
A.Thivyan of grade 4 took the microphone to sing, ‘Happy Wanderer.’ He sang about how, as went wandering, he loved to sing. He took the audience ‘wandering, along the mountain track’ with his song.
Next were the Tamil Song ‘Pasu’ (Cow) by S.Thasarahan of grade 3 and a group song, ‘Rainbows and Canyons’ (The Water Song). This programme was presented by the students of grade 4 and 5.
The next programme on the agenda was a Tamil Speech by S.Yumeswar of grade 4 on ‘Eluthaa Kavithai.’ Following this was a Chembu (Asian vessel used to drink water from) Dance by the students of grade 4.
Following the group dance was a Tamil Speech on ‘Farmers and Farming’ by S.Abisayeesan of grade 3, ‘Isaiyum Asaivum’ programme by J.Ebenezer Nesakumar of grade 5 and the English Song, ‘Mocking Bird’ by L.Devin Jeremy of grade 5.
The Tamil drama, ‘Amaithi Poongaa’ by students of grade 5 preceded the prize distribution.
After the Distribution of Prizes by Mrs. Vasuki Ravirajan, a musical drama portraying the story of the fox and the crow was presented by the students of grade 4.
Next was the Chief Guest’s address. He talked about the following:
- It is very important that a child grows up into someone with sound morals and values.
- Behaviour and discipline are of utmost importance.
- Equal attention needs to be given to both curricular and extracurricular activities. Involvement in the latter is important for the development of a rounded personality.
- Students should take part in Sports and Games.
- A student should study for at least two hours a day (outside the classrooms) with commitment and devotion.
After Prof. P.Ravirajan stepped down from the lectern, the students of grade 3 presented an action song, titled ‘The Lost Kite.’
The Vote of Thanks by the Deputy Head Prefect, P.Vaishnavan and the College Song by the entire attendees and participants brought the function to a successful end.