Interact club is a service club for youth ages 12 to 18 and is part of Rotary International, the world’s first service club organization. The parent international organization consists of over 30,000 clubs around the world and boasts more than million business and professional leaders as members. Individual Rotary clubs sponsor the youth component, Interact clubs, by providing guidance and support. The first Interact club was founded in 1962.Our School Interact Club was founded in 1964 sponsored by the Rotary Club of Jaffna. The Interact Club of St.John's college is the first Interact Club in the island and in Asia also and now is the oldest Functioning Interact Club in Sri Lanka.
Interact involves as many as 200,000 youth through more than 10,000 clubs in 109 countries and geographical areas. Each club varies according to its membership makeup. Some Interact clubs are single gender; others are mixed gender. An Interact club may derive its membership from a single school or combine students from more than one school in a particular community, and students as young as 10 may join if the school where the club is based accepts students of that age. The size of Interact club memberships varies, as well. Members are known as Interactors.
The Interact clubs are self-supporting and self-governing, although they receive direction and minimal, if any, financial support from the sponsoring Rotary club. All Interact clubs sponsor a minimum of two community service projects annually. One project should support an understanding of international goodwill. Another service project should benefit the local community or school. The club meets at least twice monthly. Active members must maintain a 60% attendance record
Goals of Interact
- Recognize and develop constructive leader ship and personal integrity
- Encourage and practice thoughtfulness and helpfulness to others
- Create an awareness of the importance of home and family
- Build respect for the rights of others ,based on recognition of the worth of each individual
- Emphasize acceptance of individual responsibility as the basis of personal success ,community improvement and group achievement
- Recognize the dignity and value of all useful occupation as opportunities to serve society
- Provide opportunities for gaining increased knowledge and understanding of community ,national an d world affairs
- Open avenues of personal and group action leading to the advancement of international understanding and goodwill towards all people